Tuesday, March 12, 2013

DC Sister Act



Little Cardenas was in DC this weekend. Doesn't she look excited?


Actually, after talking about my blog I think her exact words were, "Katie, is all you do eat?". My response, "Obviously". After making it through 'Snowquestration' 2013 Lauren finally landed to just experience the depressing DC weather from the ground. Luckily, those cold and windy winter days are a perfect excuse to hit up Busboys and Poets. Now everyone in DC has a special place in their heart for Busboys, especially because it honor legendary poet Langston Hughes. Part restaurant, bookstore, coffee shop, and theater, it is the perfect place to come when feeling angsty and artistic (that's why I am there all the time). Its a great place to feel in the center of some local, progressive movement; whether that zeitgeist is contrived or authentic is up to debate from the opinionated DC community of activists and foodies. 

Every time I go to Busboys I always have to get the fried tofu balls with plum sauce. Sounds weird, actually addictive.



As the carb lover she is, Lauren ordered Sweet Fuji Apple & Gorgonzola Sandwich with fig spread on walnut raisin bread. Ok, maybe I had a few bites. 



I tried to be good and ordered the Roasted Beet Salad  with baby red and gold beets, arugula, roasted walnuts, goat cheese tossed with lemon vinaigrette. 

I mostly gorged on plum tofu balls. Yup, I just said that. And got this awesome pic of Lauren devouring her  food when she wasn't looking...


Friday night, the ever gracious Lindsay provided us with a Groupon for the date-appropriate Little Fountain Cafe in Adams Morgan. I have always passed Little Fountain on my nights outs, and found the quiet cafe to be in sharp contrast to the Jumbo Pizza slices places that cater to the late night eaters of Adam Morgan's bar scene. 




However, at 6 pm we capitalized on the calm before the storm and found ourselves the restaurant's first patrons. Little Fountain is pretty much a bistro basement with a lovely, refined neighborhood feel. While the novelty of the food was in its simplicity and savoriness, the service was pretty slow and the wine glasses small. I hate to complain, but it did get a bit trying after it took about 25 minutes to get our check. This is why restaurants should have big wine glasses...it keeps people happy! Other than that, the atmosphere and price get a A+. 

Lindsay got the cheese plate, with fig, walnuts and dates. 



I kept peeking over to try and steal some nibbles, but she was kind enough to offer me some after noticing my wondering eyes. The smoky gruyére was my favorite. Lauren decided to get the salmon pasta dish, with salmon caviar and basil. 



Granted, she picked out all of the caviar (probably the reason it was $19 pasta dish) and decided to deposit it on my plate. Turns out, salmon caviar by itself is pretty good. 

Lindsay got the pumpkin gnocchi. I think I ate more of her dish than she actually did. Typical. 


As for me, I had the eggplant marinara. I always try to order eggplant when at restaurants since its so hard to cook at home. But forget the eggplant, the sauce was my favorite this time. It tasted like tomatoes off the vine in Italy. YUM.


We were very full and happy. 



Later that night, we went out to see the Encyclopedia Show DC - The Spectrum of Color. Not one of their best shows, but definitely entertaining. After some sister bonding and getting ready at my place, we headed out on the town. In heels. While it was a painful night for me, it was great to spend some quality time with Lauren. I am sad to say I did not document her first experience eating some Jumbo Slice pizza. However, she probably would have killed me if I did post a picture of her inhaling a pizza pie larger than her face. You got off easy Lauren! 



On Saturday, we ventured out to Georgetown so Lauren could fulfill her need to shop. I think she was more excited to walk by DC cupcakes. I knew she was a little reality TV addict, but I didn't know it included everything  from DC Cupcakes to Catfish (who knew?!).


We brunched at Kafe Leopold, which is probably one of my favorite brunch spots I have been to in all of DC. While I only took this one picture, I am definitely planning on a future write-up as soon as I go back. It deserves a entire blog post dedicated to all of its goodness! 


I think Lauren also brought some Texas weather with her, which is a huge welcome after this long, long winter. Our final night together I went out without a jacket! Craziness! This weekend finally felt like spring season and I was so happy that we could spent it together. Miss you already lil sis and enjoy the rest of your sophomore year @ Vandy! 



XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment