Monday, February 18, 2013

Union Market

As my friend Lindsay and I passed fading Chinese storefronts and dark, dingy industrial warehouses in D.C.'s NoMa District, I began to wonder if our quest for DC's revamped urban food venue, Union Market, was only going to leave us thoroughly creeped out. It was only after driving around for awhile did we notice a steady stream of visitors entering a modern brick facade in the otherwise run-down industrial space. The huge, white 'Union Market' signed should have clued us in but I think we were too intrigued by the market's sketchy, wholesale surroundings to notice what was going on at roof level in the no-mans land between the metro stop and residential apartments.

Signage: Union Market
Floor plan of the market

However once inside Union Market, we were greeted by culinary delights from every direction that hardly reflected the market's dingy surroundings. Of course we were immediately drawn to a cheese and wine bar/bistro that appeared both chic yet low-key. Many cheese samples were consumed. Too bad we hard already eaten brunch at Masa 14, or else I think we would have spent a small fortune on fine cheese and boutique wine at Righteous Cheese.




I can never say to to fresh seafood, and Rappahannock Oyster's artisan offering definitely made me want to head back whenever I was craving some nautical nom-noms. With evocative, seafaring names like Stingrays, Snow Hills, and Olde Salts, I would imagine their oysters would taste like wearing a yellow raincoat on a New England coast. Salty and satisfying.



Ok, I love being a vegetarian but Red Apron Butchery actually appeared quite appealing. Maybe it is the fact that ever once in awhile I miss bacon (yes, I will admit it) or the fact that small - scale meat counters remind me of neighborhood Spanish markets, but there was something quite homey and non-threatening about this local charcuterie.





There were tons of other goodies throughout the market, too good to not promise to try in the near future. Enough coffee and pastry places to provide a dangerous sugar/caffeine high, and a various non-mobile establishments of some of DC favorite food trucks. A ideal spot for foodie gatherings and leisurely Saturday strolls, Union Market is the ideal mix of D.C.'s community and culinary character. 

No comments:

Post a Comment