Monday, January 28, 2013

January So Far

In a ideal world, there wouldn't be crazy work days or last minute obligations that popped up in the way of blogging. Unfortunately, real life often gets in the way that keeps me from my writing about my super interesting life and making snarky comments about something or another. But I figured now is the appropriate time to share some snap shots from the past month - or should I say, quality iphone photos.

Every twenty something knows there is nothing better than a throw back to the elementary school days...rocking some overalls and bopping those unforgettable '90s jams. Backstreet Boys. Britney. Third Eye Blind. Hanson. Spice. I could go on forever. But in this post millennium generation what is a twenty something to do to deal with the influx of that Beiber kid and his girlfriend...Selena is her name (Ok, maybe I love Selena Gomez and I'm ashamed to admit it)? Obviously, the answer only answer is to create a super preppy/hipster techno remix and rage like its 1999. Anyway, Meg, Madison and I did just that at Lady Gaga vs. Madonna vs. Boy Bands- A Dance Party with DJ lil'e  at the 9:30 Club on January 4th. Here is the one picture I have from the night:

That's pretty much a indication of how that night went.

That Wednesday before this crazy dance party took place, the roomies and I decided to be refined young professionals hit up The Phillips Collection after 5. So, here we were going into this art reception thinking we were going to study, contemplate, and deconstruct great art. While there is no lack of great art at the Phillips (I was amazed at how many classics they have - everything from Picasso to Renoir!) what we really did was hit up the free cheese and hummus samples provided by Arla. Scooping out free food and being a pseudo intellectual with impeccable taste is pretty much synonymous to being a twenty something. Beside eating cheese, the most time was spent on the Instagram Lego Challenge: to make a Lego sculpture inspired by Per Kirkeby's art and to share it on Instgram. What do you think of my Texas creation?



Don't we look hipster.

After a busy, busy week and a trip to Iron Horse, I meet up with my friend Becca from my college years. Because she is fabulous in general, Becca recommend we try a place called Mandu. I have never had Korean food before, but boy I realized what I was missing out on after. Mandu does not only have super friendly waitresses that didn't judge me for sitting alone for 30 minutes (my dining companion was held up by the ever reliant DC public transportation system) but they also have a kick ass happy hour. I am talking $3 dumplings and $4 drinks called 'Sojutinis' (a Korean vodka with juice usually). We went crazy. Very rarely do I have left over from DC restaurants, but I was able to feast the next day at work in my cubicle, dreaming about when I could return to Mandu.


That Sunday, Izzy and I decided to visit the Holocaust Museum. Somber stuff, but softened with a very beautiful message. The architecture of the museum really conveys the idea that the building is a memorial. Serene aesthetics of shooting ceilings and Gothic-themed windows embodies peace, memory, and hope. The most moving part of the whole experience was the last room visitors pass through before stepping back outside. It is a small sanctuary, flanked by rectangular windows, a simple alter, and a single flame. A very good place to sit and reflect about what you just saw.

Later that day, Izzy and I decided to stop by brunch at a co-workers basement apartment. While brunch is a staple practice of every twenty something, lets just say it ain't no cheap habit. So when our friend Tory invited us over for a homemade, delicious, *free* eat fest we were all over it. This is what the menu consisted of:


- leftover bagels from the office (yum)
- tomatoes cooked in grease from bacon (yum)
- cheap champagne and grocery store orange juice (yum) 
 
Who wouldn't want to eat that, right? But was really the best part of our cheapo brunch was the fire alarm deciding to go off for a good 20 minutes after a particular burned bagel episode. Much more entertaining than anything I could have ever paid for. Especially when we just decided it sounded more like a club siren than anything else...

Lindsay and I also decided to attend part deux of DC's newest themed variety show: The Encyclopedia Show. The basis of the show is that each performance is based off a random selection from the encyclopedia chosen at the one held previously. That is about the only concrete thing I am able to explain about it. Dancing, poetry, comedy, awkward moments, pop culture, hipster glasses... you really get it all (sounds like my teenage years there). We were especially wooed the first performance with the procurement of a delicious moon pie, handed out by a performing poet himself. Sadly no free cookies this the second show 'Bears'. Lindsay was suppose to in fact be a pre-desingated audience participant eaten by a bear, but you know got stage fright and forgot when she was suppose to go up. Some more unsuspecting attendee had to get eaten instead. But we got this awesome picture instead.


His sweater is from Macklemore's 'Thrift Shop' ps. Just saying. Until next time!



No comments:

Post a Comment